So many people think having a job is safe…it’s what we’ve heard for as long as we remember.
But is a job really safe?
You’ve heard the stories of people getting laid off or being unhappy or unfulfilled in their jobs.
I’ve been talking with a flood of people lately who have either just “transitioned” from corporate or were laid off…sometimes multiple times!
Instead of feeling at the mercy of an employer, you can be the captain of your own ship and create your own future and freedom by starting your own business.
I know how it is…I worked for KPMG, CitiBank and Charles Schwab before I went out on my own in 1997…I’ve been there.
Here is what I recommend to my clients when they start a business and want it to be successful:
1. Update your mindset. Commit to yourself, your future and your freedom that you’ll focus and do what it takes to successfully captain your own ship and start a business. To be successful, you have to be willing to take responsibility for your results. If you can’t or won’t do this, look down the barrel because otherwise you need to go back and work for someone else.
2. Know the benefit of the value you provide. Be clear about exactly how your expertise will change your Ideal Clients life and hone how you communicate your message.
BONUS TIP: Practice your “What I Do For You” message in person, if possible, with people who are ready and willing to pay for your services (no one else’s opinion matters) to get instant feedback on its effectiveness. You want to grab your Ideal Client’s attention and have them asking to know more.
3. Generate cashflow. This is the life blood of your business. If you don’t have cashflow, you have a hobby.
BONUS TIP: Use Square to process credit cards for free and get your money the next day. This means you can have a meeting today and money in your account tomorrow!
4. Constantly promote your value. Even Warren Buffett does that…and he knows something about how to run a successful business! To start a business successfully, you need to get your message out effectively and consistently to where your Ideal Clients and Partners are most receptive to it.
5. Structure your day for success. Focus rigorously on what generates cash when you’re most productive and have the most energy.
BONUS TIP: Manage interruptions like email, social media, the phone, etc. by silencing or turning off all notifications. Batch those things at lower energy times.
When you put these five pieces into place, you’ll be on your way to starting a successful business, being captain of your own ship and creating your own future and freedom…bon voyage!
If you want more details on how to start a successful business, click here to qualify for your complimentary Entrepreneur Success strategy session with me to explore that and to find out what you can do to have a success breakthrough. I have a limited number of appointments available and request that only people who are serious about dramatically increasing their entrepreneurial success and ready to take the next step apply for a time to talk.
Was this article on how to start a business helpful? Let me know if it was helpful by commenting below and feel free to share with others…especially on LinkedIn!
© 2015 ChristineHueber.com
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR NEWSLETTER OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete text with it:
“Marketing mentor Christine Hueber teaches business owners and entrepreneurs around the world how to create and manage profitable marketing that easily gets them more clients. Get her FREE report ‘Top 10 LinkedIn Success Secrets for Entrepreneurs’ at www.ChristineHueber.com“